In an effort to put the current discussion of crime in California in perspective, we have prepared this report to answer several key questions, including:
- How much crime is there in California? How has the level of crime
changed over time? How does crime vary within California, and among the
- Who are the victims and perpetrators of crime?
- How does the California criminal justice system-local law enforcement,
courts, and correctional agencies-deal with adult and juvenile offenders?
- What are the characteristics of adult and juveniles under the
supervision of local and state correctional agencies?
- What are the costs of crime and the criminal justice system?
- What are the key criminal justice issues for policymakers today?